In a May 2023 Advisory, United States Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy issued an alarming report on how high levels of loneliness and social isolation are spawning a public health crisis impacting mental health and life expectancy across all ages and income levels.
Veteran support groups have long sounded the alarm on this tendency, and although it is shifting, change is not coming quickly enough, given the profound impact that loneliness and social isolation can have on veterans already struggling to transition into civilian culture and corporate employment.
Developing Meaningful Connections Post-Military
Working from our commitment to provide culturally literate training in emotional intelligence for transitioning veterans, The Ambitious VET Network has created a training course designed by veterans for veterans to advance the social connections so crucial to happiness and fulfillment both personally and professionally.
The 8-week program includes four modules including a live group Fire Team call facilitated by a subject matter expert (SME). Each module unlocks bi-weekly tactics for building strong social connection.
• Support participants’ examination and assessment of their risk level for isolation and loneliness.
• Develop tactics to advance participants’ social connection scores based on personal behaviors and preferences.
• Gain new clarity on how to re-socialize into the civilian sector.
• Gain actionable steps from SMEs and peers on how to improve communication skills and build a post-military tribe.
• Provide opportunities for relationships with other like-minded veterans and mentors on the same transition journey.